The Play On! Curriculum helps educators and programmers maximize playgrounds to promote physical activity, develop wellness habits, and meet national standards for physical fitness – all in the context of fun.
We want to develop healthy habits in America’s youth because we know the most reliable way to become a healthy adult is to be an active and healthy child. We hope this ground-breaking play curriculum will play a key role in helping you strengthen and educate today’s children.
Plexercise equals play, fitness & fun!
Play & Park Structures encourages movement with a focus on balance, coordination and climbing to maximize the physical potential of each child. Play is an essential part of child development and physical activity is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle...Play & Park Structures provides both within a fun stimulating environment.
Stretching All Muscle Groups
Stretching promotes better range-of-motion for all muscles
Upper Body Muscle Group
Arm strength including grip strength and hand-eye coordination
Lower Body Muscle Group
Strengthening all muscle groups of the legs for balance & foot coordination
Overall Stability & Balance
Prevent injury and strengthen all muscle groups
Core Muscle Group
A strong torso is essential for good posture and balance
Overall caloric burn
Maximize the Physical Fitness Value of your playground equipment with the standards-based activities in the Play On! program.
Healthy Exercise...disguised as fun!
Full-body balance, core strength, and upper body exercise are some of the most important factors in fitness today. Play & Park Structures play equipment provides the perfect venue for teaching children the healthy habit of making physical activity a part of their daily life. The health and well being of the whole child depends on the opportunities they have to develop their minds and bodies, which makes outdoor play time essential to their development. With guidance from parents and teachers, children develop healthy habits that they carry with them into adulthood.
Playgrounds promote physical fitness, overall child development, and fun. Use the Play On! Curriculum with your playground to encourage 6 essential physical activity benefits…
Benefit 1 – Brachiating Overhead Climbing
- Improves upper-body muscular strength and endurance
- Promotes hand-eye coordination, kinesthetic awareness, and rhythmic body movement.
Benefit 2 – Climbing
- Enhances spatial awareness and arm and leg coordination.
- Advances the development of body management skills on stable and unstable apparatuses.
- Fosters whole-body muscular strength, endurance and flexibility.
Benefit 3 – Swinging
- Integrates a smooth and synchronized movement pattern.
- Emphasizes the importance of timely energy transfer during movement.
- Promotes aerobic fitness, muscular force, and whole-body awareness.
Benefit 4 – Sliding
- Enhances core stability, dynamic balance, and leg and hip flexibility.
- Provides a body and spatial awareness movement experience.
- Personal enjoyment!
Benefit 5 – Spinning
- Develops kinesthetic awareness and postural control.
- Improves comprehension of speed, force, and directional qualities of movement.
Benefit 6 – Balancing
- Increases understanding of efficient body positioning and control when stationary or moving.
- Promotes muscular strength and endurance throughout the entire body.
- Introduces mechanical principles such as center of gravity, equilibrium, base of support, and counterbalances that are essential in most sport skills, especially gymnastics activities.
Play On! helps educators and programmers maximize playgrounds to promote physical activity, develop wellness habits, and meet national standards for physical fitness – all in the context of fun. We want to develop healthy habits in America’s youth because we know the most reliable way to become a healthy adult is to be an active and healthy child. We hope this ground-breaking play curriculum will play a key role in helping you strengthen and educate today’s children.
Program Features & Benefits:
- 100 Detachable Learning Activities for children in grades K – 5
- Aligned with NASPE physical education standards
- Swinging, sliding, overhead brachiating, spinning, balancing, climbing, and overall fitness activities
- Promote Moderate and Rigorous Levels of Physical Activity that lead to strength, endurance, flexibility, balance, and cardiovascular fitness
- Downloadable Parent Guide
- Playground Funding Resources
- Safety Resources and Teaching Tips
- Accommodations for children of varying abilities
- Research-based data on the value of physical activity
- Commentary on the importance of play
- Skill Assessment Worksheet for providing feedback, motivating students to set goals, or tracking achievement
For more information on Play On! Curriculum or additional standards-based programs please contact Play & Park Structures at 800.727.1907.
Developed in partnership with AAPAR & AAHPERD, American Association for Physical Activity and Recreation (AAPAR), and The American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (AAHPERD).